…son in custodyEighty-two-year-old Rudolph Samuel Alphanso Ross, also called ‘Bruce’, was on Monday burnt to death in an early morning fire at Kildonan, Corentyne, Region Six (East Berbice/Corentyne). Police have since arrested the dead man’s son after he turned up at the scene carrying a bag containing his and his father’s important documents.According to reports, the dead man and his son had occupied a two-storeyDead: Rudolph Samuel Alphanso Rossconcrete building, from which the elder Ross was heard screaming for help at about 03:00h. A neighbour told this publication that the elderly man was seen at a bedroom window appealing for assistance as a large portion of the upper flat of his home became engulfed in flames. Ross is said to have been in a bedroom in the front of the building while the blaze was initially seen in the back part of the house. However, villagers’ efforts to get the man out of the burning building were futile, as the fire quickly engulfed the house.“He was calling out to me for help because his son was not at home, so me and my cousin and her husband try to save him, but it was too much of heat and smoke, so we couldn’t have saved him,” one of the first responders told this publication.Reports reaching Guyana Times indicate that a ladder was employed in rescuers’ efforts to get to the windows of the upper flat of the burning building, but when the windows were smashed open, a gush of heat made it too risky for anyone to attempt to rescue the elderly man.The burnt house“We couldn’t enter from the door, so we tried the bedroom window where he was, but we couldn’t make it,” responders detailed.The fire unit that arrived on the scene from the Rose Hall Fire Station had to focus its attention on preventing the fire from spreading. Residents say the fire-fighters arrived close to one hour after the fire had initially started. “The fire spread so quickly that even if they had come from Rose Hall as soon as we see the fire, they would not have been able to save him,” one resident said.Guyana Times understands that when the man’s body was eventually retrieved, all four limbs had been burnt to ash. The skull was, however, recognisable.Ross had formerly been an executive officer of the Bush Lot/Adventure Village Council. He leaves to mourn six children. Six of his ten siblings are still alive. The eldest, Ivor, who celebrated his 85 birthday on Sunday, referred to the now dead man as being one whom persons looked up to in the community.He referred to his brother as being an intelligent man in his younger days; one who had always been “well spoken.” Police are initially treating this incident as a fire of unknown origin, but await a report from the forensic fire investigators.
The Dawson Creek RCMP are reporting a male passed away in font of Bill’s News in Dawson Creek.During the early morning hours of August 6th, Police received a call to assist BC Ambulance Services in front of Bill’s News on 10th street. A male had been experiencing back pain and upon exiting the shop, collapsed on the sidewalk. Every effort was made by paramedics, police officers and doctors to revive the male, however he did not recover.- Advertisement -The males name is being withheld out of respect for the family.
1 Shane Lowry Former Aston Villa and Leeds defender Shane Lowry has signed for League One promotion hopefuls Leyton Orient.The 25-year-old, who joined Villa back in 2005, came through the ranks with the club before loan spells at Plymouth, Leeds, Sheffield United and Millwall.He eventually joined Millwall on a permanent deal back in 2012 but was a free agent after coming to the end of his two-year deal in South London.But he will be staying in the capital after signing a two-year deal with Orient, who are targeting another promotion push after defeat in last season League One Play-off final.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Consultant URS Corp. presented the city with a study in September that weighed 16 alternative technologies for processing trash that Angelenos place in their black bins. Such refuse is currently taken to landfills. The report looked at an array of biological, chemical and physical methods for disposing of waste. It concluded that thermal-heating methods are best suited for processing black-bin refuse, and it laid out a timeline to have a facility online by 2010. The second-phase contract with URS approved Friday will narrow the list of technologies, Smith said, while also considering potential conversion sites, costs and permitting issues. The study will also look at what kind of public education and outreach campaign would be necessary. The earlier study acknowledged that new technology such as waste-to-energy conversion would generate “many question from the public with regard to environmental impacts and public health issues.” The $1.1 million authorized by the council for the new study had already been set aside in the current year’s budget for such a purpose. Dan Laidman, (213) 978-0390 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! As part of an ongoing effort to reduce Los Angeles’ dependency on landfills, the City Council voted Friday to spend $1.1 million to study alternate ways to dispose of trash. The effort is being spearheaded by Northwest San Fernando Valley Councilman Greig Smith, who has tried to steer the city away from using Sunshine Canyon Landfill in Granada Hills, while advocating a long-range plan to convert trash to energy. “We need to get out of things like Sunshine and any landfill in general,” he said. While officials spend the next few months debating whether to renew a city contract for Sunshine Canyon Landfill and consider other immediate solutions to the urban landfill dilemma, the new study is designed to look at longer-term measures.
CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos or video on a mobile device TORONTO – The Warriors will take a cross-country flight on Wednesday that might become part of their itinerary in about seven months.When the Warriors (15-7) visit the Toronto Raptors (18-4), the intrigue will not just center on if Stephen Curry will play after missing the past 10 games because of a sore left groin. It might also provide some clarity on if the Warriors compete for their third consecutive …
30 April 2009 South Africa has named MAN AG and Daimler AG’s Pretoria-based Mercedes-Benz unit as the preferred bidders to supply 570 buses and coaches for the 2010 Fifa World Cup. Mercedes-Benz South Africa is the preferred supplier of 168 semi-luxury coaches and 292 inter-city buses, while Munich-based MAN is the preferred supplier of 110 general spectator buses, Transport Minister Jeff Radebe announced in Pretoria on Wednesday. The government has put in place a guarantee of R1.4-billion (about US$162.5-million) to acquire the 570 buses. Radebe said an additional 260 buses – 250 for general spectator services and 10 semi-luxury coaches – would be leased from the industry, bringing the total fleet of bus and coach to be provided by the government for 2010 to 830. The minister said a critical component of South Africa’s transport preparations for the World Cup was the provision of transport infrastructure, but most importantly the provision of various modes of public transport. The Department of Transport invited bids to supply buses and coaches for the World Cup in May 2008. “We received a number of proposals, and only four met all the minimum requirements to qualify for an evaluation,” Radebe said. “Only three bidders were short-listed after the evaluation process and were issued a Best and Final Offer document on 4 December 2008,” he said, adding that all three bidders had responded with final proposals. Source: BuaNews
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The Senate Agriculture Committee is getting closer to scheduling a confirmation hearing for Agriculture Secretary nominee Sonny Perdue, but still needs some paperwork from the White House.The Washington Post reports needed paperwork was submitted last week, more than seven weeks after President Donald Trump nominated the former Georgia governor to the post at the Department of Agriculture. But a spokesperson for Michigan’s Debbie Stabenow, the top Democrat on the Senate Agriculture Committee, says the committee still needs Perdue’s ethics paperwork and FBI background check, as of Friday.Perdue’s ethics forms are also missing from the Office of Government Ethics website, which posts the documents when they are completed. The ethics agreements identify potential conflicts of interest and how they will be resolved.Perdue has had businesses in grain trading, trucking and exports. It is unclear whether any of those interests are causing the holdup.
dana oshiro 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market After a long weekend, you may find you’re all caught up on your favorite shows. If you’re looking for a new source for entertainment, Berkeley-based community Redux is finally emerging from closed beta. ReadWriteWeb first covered Redux’s Facebook and Twitter integration in early October. Since then the company has increased its member base, created some new tools and most importantly, built on the strength of its video. Similar to Digg, Redux allows users to upload, share and vote on content across the network. Tools like its embeddable blogging widget and inlinevideo comment threads encourage ongoing dialogue and engagement. The community’s best content and dialogue has been its video, and TV mode is a way to celebrate that. Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Redux lets you stream videos continuously in full screen mode from your friends, networks, and favorite channels. Because the community pulls a live feed from your Twitter and Facebook networks, clips arrive as real-time suggestions from friends and community members. In the past ReadWriteWeb has looked to Redux as a great way to bypass Bit.ly’s malware issues as the site offers a thumbnail preview prior to clicking on links. With TV Mode, users can bypass the act of clicking altogether and watch an unadulterated stream of real-time video. To register visit Redux. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#start#startups A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…
Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Google has announced the pending availability of App Inventor, a visual development software for the Android platform. Depending on your perspective, Android is the most or second most exciting mobile operating system on the market – and an easy and popular platform for everyday people to make apps is big, big news.What does it mean? Where will this go? There are five specific questions we’d like to ask about this potential game changer.Is This The Next Quark, Blogger or HyperCard?App Inventor appears intended to unleash an army of everyday people developing Android apps. “Will Google’s App Inventor do for development what Quark did for publishing & Blogger for the web?” Google-watching journalist Jeff Jarvis asked this morning on Twitter, continuing, “I think it could.” Apple pundit John Gruber invokes another archetypal piece of software and asks: “So has Google beaten Apple in the race for a HyperCard for mobile, or is this something less?”Those are very big shoes for new software to fill. What would that mean? It would mean anyone could learn how to develop new Android apps in a weekend, and every organization would likely have one person in it who was just geeky enough to whip out Android apps when asked. Be it for internal or external use, in this vision of the future almost every small business would have an Android app, because the cost and barrier to entry would be lowered to nearly nothing.Might such apps ever run on Apple devices? Apple has not been supportive of platforms that greatly simplify the development process. They do exist, though. If Apple is really going to make FaceTime an open technical standard, perhaps the Java Open Blocks library that App Inventor uses could be built out to shoot apps over into iOS. That might be as likely as iOS support for Flash.Will App Inventor Really Be for Personal Hacking?In most of the coverage of App Inventor’s unveiling, there’s been an assumption that these easy-made apps are going to flood the Android app store. What about personal life hacks, though? The examples of projects built by early testers that were described in the New York Times article about App Inventor ranged from very personal to generally useful: A short-term location SMS messager for groups, an app that responds to received SMS messages when driving with an explanation that the recipient is driving, and an app that detects falls in old folks’ homes and calls designated care-takers. Those are cool. If it takes just a few minutes to whip up a little bit of automated mobile functionality, I can probably think of a few Sunday afternoon projects right now off the top of my head. Enlargement of the hobbyist hacker market might be biggest impact of App Inventor.Imagine this kind of functionality brought to the developing world – especially if App Inventor could be given a mobile interface on low-cost phones. There are a whole lot of possibilities beyond the low-hanging fruit of hundreds of farting Justin Beiber apps in the Android Market.When Do We Get to See AppRank?There will be many, many more apps coming to the Android Market thanks to App Inventor. As MG Seigler said well in TechCrunch coverage last night, just as DreamWeaver filled the web with pages good and bad, leaving it to Google to bring sanity to it all with PageRank, so too will the mobile apps of the world need a quality and relevance algorithm.Google made an initial entry into the world of App Search last month, but its mobile web search for apps was disappointing at launch. In our coverage of that launch, we cited research predicting a rise in global mobile app downloads from 7 billion in 2009 (37% of which was in Asia) to 50 billion by 2012. That’s huge growth, but DIY tools like App Inventor might throw that curve off still.There are apps. They must be searched. What Does This Look Like Beyond Phones?“While most of the attention surrounding Android is focused on mobile — more specifically, Android vs. the iPhone operating system,” leading mobile industry blogger Om Malik recently wrote, “the flurry of activity from those in the chip space is a clear indication that Android is attractive not just to phone makers but also to hardware vendors and service providers in a wide variety of industries.”Malik has predicted the Androidification of everything and cites Android’s deployment in a wide variety of of “connected devices” – including TV set-top boxes, ebook readers, driving navigation systems and more.Now think about App Inventor again. Will we see it support and be put to use in customizing all kinds of different hardware? That’s an exciting prospect.Will It Be Kept Up to Speed?Let’s face it: Excitement about any new Google product has to remain somewhat reserved in order to save ourselves from later heartbreak. Google is littered with exciting and hyped has-been products that weren’t implemented well, weren’t supported through ongoing development and are now just shadows of the potential they had at launch.Given the importance of Android to Google, it seems unlikely that App Inventor will be a snow-filled ghost town by December. But as Android gets more and more capabilities, will those be supported by App Inventor?If App Inventor grows relatively limited compared to real-live Android, that would be a shame. Let’s see what this puppy can do as a long-term first-class citizen of the mobile ecosystem.What do you think about App Inventor? Is this the next Blogger, the next HyperCard? Or is it most likely an annoyance, a promise with a short shelf-life, or otherwise less exciting than it might seem? What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces marshall kirkpatrick Related Posts Tags:#Analysis#mobile#web The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology
Related Posts What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … dan rowinski Apple announced a new version of its fourth-generation iPad today. Apple’s newest will be a 128GB version starting at $799 with cellular connectivity at $929 and hits stores on February 5th. With the tablet industry trending towards smaller, cheaper versions, why would Apple buck the trend and release one of the most expensive tablets on the market?The answer has little to do with Google, Amazon or the Android Army. For Apple, the 128GB iPad is all about business and enterprise. What company controls the enterprise software market and is releasing its own expensive tablet?Yeah, that would be Microsoft.“With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs,” Apple VP of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller said in a release. Apple has set its eyes on the dying infrastructure of the PC industry and Microsoft’s Windows operating system business. That is really the only reason that Cupertino would unveil an iPad with 128 gigabytes, a size that challenges many of the “ultrabooks” that have become popular in the laptop market these days. The new iPad also looks to compete with the forthcoming Surface Pro running Windows 8 expected to hit stores on February 9 with 64GB starting at $899. A 128GB Surface Pro is expected in the near future which will likely be $100-$200 more expensive. It looks like Apple as sitting on Microsoft’s announcement of Surface Pro price and availability and held the 128GB iPad back until it could come out a few days earlier and be more cost efficient for the amount of storage that it offers. If you have any doubt that Apple is targeting the enterprise and Microsoft with this new version of the fourth-generation iPad, the language in Apple’s press release leaves little doubt of where the device is targeted. “iPad continues to have a significant impact on business with virtually all of the Fortune 500 and over 85 percent of the Global 500 currently deploying or testing iPad. Companies regularly utilizing large amounts of data such as 3D CAD files, X-rays, film edits, music tracks, project blueprints, training videos and service manuals all benefit from having a greater choice of storage options for iPad. The over 10 million iWork® users, and customers who rely on other incredible apps like Global Apptitude for analyzing team film and creating digital playbooks, Auria for an incredible 48 track recording system, or AutoCAD for drafting architectural and engineering drawings, also benefit greatly from having the choice of an iPad with more storage capacity.”Apple then goes on to quote three enterprise executives from AutoCAD, Global Apptitude and WaveMachine Labs. The targeting towards the enterprise makes sense for a 128GB iPad because, really, no consumer needs that much storage on a tablet. That would be a lot of songs and movies.Over the last couple of years, tablets have dug into the revenues of traditional PC makers like HP, Lenovo, Dell and others. With Apple’s newest iPad, Cupertino is going for the jugular. Tags:#Apple#iPad#microsoft surface The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement