Rodri fuels City rumours by asking Atletico for ‘space’

first_imgRodri has asked Atletico Madrid to grant him “space” as he ponders his future amid interest from Manchester City.The Spain midfielder has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League champions and has a reported €70 million (£62m/$79m) release clause in his Atleti contract.Goal has reported that City have identified the midfielder as their priority midfield transfer target this summer. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? City sporting director Txiki Begiristain has personally scouted the 22-year-old this past season and has come away impressed with his abilities. City are keen on bolstering their options at defensive midfield with Fernandinho now 34 and Rodri has done little to quell speculation he could fill that particular transfer wish of Pep Guardiola.Speaking to Deportes Cuatro, the 22-year-old said: “I asked the club for peace of mind to give me space.”It would be hypocritical to say that I can guarantee anything.”The only thing I can say is that I have a contract with Atletico Madrid, I have a clause, I have some conditions and today I am happy here.”I cannot say anything else because I do not know what’s going to happen.”City, who won a domestic treble in England last season, have also been linked with West Ham midfielder Declan Rice and Lyon’s Tanguy Ndombele.However, Goal understands that City’s interest in Ndombele has cooled, while a move for Rice has been ruled out with the England midfielder also linked to Manchester United.That has made a move for Rodri a priority for City this summer, with Ilkay Gundogan’s future with the club also up in the air. The German midfielder has not made progress on a contract extension, though he now says he is ready to re-open talks with the club over a new deal.Guardiola also deployed John Stones at central midfield as times during the 2018-19 season, with the 25-year-old falling back on the centre-back depth chart. Fabian Delph is also an option for City in the middle of the park, but the 29-year-old could move on in the summer with playing time hard to come by in 2018-19.last_img read more

North American stock markets plunge on heightened trade war between US and

North American stock markets plummeted Friday after the U.S.-Sino trade war heated up with President Donald Trump angrily responding to China’s tariff retaliation.China kicked off a political firestorm by announcing tariff hikes on US$75 billion of U.S. products including some agricultural products, crude oil, and small aircraft in retaliation to U.S. tariffs. China will also boost import duties on U.S.-made autos and auto parts.Trump reacted by ordering U.S. companies to “immediately start looking for an alternative to China,” although it’s unclear what authority he has to make this happen.Markets plunged as investors digested the back-and-forth, said Philip Petursson, chief investment strategist at Manulife Investment Management.“As of today this trade war seems to have escalated and the uncertainty has escalated and the impact on the global economy, the downside risks we would argue, have accelerated as well,” he said in an interview.The S&P/TSX composite index closed down 215.88 points at 16,037.58. That’s 3.8 per cent below the record high reached in April but up 12 per cent so far this year.In New York, the Dow Jones industrial average was down 623.34 points at 25,628.90, the third large fall in as many weeks. The S&P 500 index was down 75.84 points at 2,847.11, while the Nasdaq composite was down 239.62 points or three per cent at 7,751.77.Trump further responded after markets closed by saying the 25 per cent tariff on US$250 billion worth of Chinese imports will rise to 30 per cent on Oct. 1 and that 10 per cent tariffs on US$300 billion worth of goods would rise to 15 per cent on Sept. 1.Trump had previously delayed some tariffs until Dec. 15 in a reprieve to holiday shoppers buying electronics, apparel, and shoes.“So it would be difficult to deny that Americans are paying for the tariffs in that environment,” Petursson said in reference to Trump’s claims that China pays for tariffs instead of U.S. consumers through higher prices.Among the “shocking comments” from the president was his lashing out at China’s President Xi Jinping, and Federal Reserve chairman Jerome Powell for refusing to signal a large interest rate cut, said Petursson.“My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powel (sic) or Chairman Xi?,” Trump wrote in one of several tweets he fired out.Markets were expected to focus Friday on signals from Powell about interest rates.In a speech Friday an annual policy conference in Jackson Hole, Wyo., Powell said: “we will act as appropriate to sustain the expansion.” That followed less dovish comments Thursday from two Fed presidents arguing against rate cuts.Together they suggest a lower probability for a 50 basis point cut in rates in September.“Certainly the message out of Powell and out of some of the others was that we could go another 25 but 50 is a little bit more of a challenge to justify,” Petursson said.“[But] I think given what has gone on today…I don’t think that we’ll get through September without a cut.”The Canadian dollar traded for an average of 75.13 cents US, compared with 75.23 cents US on Thursday.Ten of the 11 major sectors of the TSX closed lower. Materials were the exception, rising 1.8 per cent as investors sought safety in gold. That helped Yamana Gold Inc. and Kinross Gold Corp., which gained 10 and 7.7 per cent respectively.The December gold contract was up US$29.10 at US$1,537.60 an ounce and the September copper contract was down 2.75 cents at US$2.53 a pound.Energy lost more than three per cent with several producers losing big on a drop in oil prices, including Encana Corp. and Canadian Natural Resources.The October crude contract was down US$1.18 at US$54.17 per barrel and the October natural gas contract was down 0.7 of a cent at US$2.16 per mmBTU.Industrials also fell as shares of Bombardier Inc. lost 8.1 per cent and Cargojet Inc. rose 12.9 per cent on a deal with Amazon. read more